Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Richmond, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Kahal Kadosh Beth Shalome

 
 
Kahal Kadosh Beth Shalome Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, July 28, 2007
1. Kahal Kadosh Beth Shalome Marker
Inscription. Jews have participated in Virginia’s social and economic life from the colony’s beginnings. Kahal Kadosh Beth Shalome (Holy Congregation House of Peace) was founded in Richmond in 1789, when the Jewish community grew large enough to establish the first Jewish congregation in Virginia and the sixth oldest in the United States. Temporary sites housed Beth Shalome until a permanent synagogue was built nearby and dedicated on 15 Sept. 1822. The modest one-story brick structure was sold in 1891 and demolished in 1934. Beth Shalome merged with Richmond’s Beth Ahabah congregation in 1898.
 
Erected 2002 by Department of Historic Resources and the Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation. (Marker Number SA 56.)
 
Location. 37° 32.173′ N, 77° 25.871′ W. Marker is in Richmond, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of North 14th Street and East Franklin Street, on the right when traveling north on North 14th Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Richmond VA 23219, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Triangle (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The First Telephone Exchange South of the Potomac River (about
Marker along 14th Street image. Click for full size.
By Dawn Bowen, July 28, 2007
2. Marker along 14th Street
600 feet away); Reconciliation Statue (about 600 feet away); Black Hawk (1767-1838) (about 600 feet away); Slave Auction Site (about 600 feet away); Powers-Taylor Building (about 600 feet away); The Old State Capitol (about 600 feet away); The General Assembly of Virginia (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Richmond.
 
Also see . . .  The Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation. The Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation is a non-profit, volunteer organization. The purpose of the Society is to identify and recognize sites of American Jewish Historical interest. The Society sponsors and promotes programs of local and national historic interest. Cooperating with local Historical Societies, Communities, Churches and Synagogues, the Society encourages dialogue and interactive recognition of the commonality of the American Experience. (Submitted on February 3, 2010, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland.) 
 
Additional keywords. Jewish Americans
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
Marker dedication image. Click for full size.
2003
3. Marker dedication
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,126 times since then. Last updated on , by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Dawn Bowen of Fredericksburg, Virginia.   3. submitted on , by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement