Bethlehem in Northampton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
As early as 1754, water was pumped from a spring to a water tower, that stood east of here, through hollowed trunks of trees. It then flowed by gravity to five cisterns or reservoirs. Original engine house stands about 60 yds. S.W.
Erected 1953 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Location. 40° 37.149′ N, 75° 22.97′ W. Marker is in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in Northampton County. Click for map. Marker is in the Colonial Industrial Quarter of Historic Bethlehem, immediately north of the Waterworks building along the former Ohio Road, and about 75 feet north of the Main Street Bridge over the Monocacy Creek. Marker is in this post office area: Bethlehem PA 18018, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Waterworks (here, next to this marker); Oil Mill (a few steps from this marker); Bark Shed (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonial Industrial Quarter (within shouting distance of this marker); Pottery (within shouting distance of this marker); Smith Complex (within shouting distance of this West Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Moravian Community (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Bethlehem.
Also see . . . Colonial Industrial Quarter. (Submitted on February 3, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Colonial Era • Man-Made Features • Natural Resources • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 630 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Carolyn Martienssen of West Hazleton, Pennsylvania. 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.