Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bethlehem in Northampton County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Old Chapel

 
 
The Old Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
1. The Old Chapel Marker
Inscription.
Before and during the American Revolution many noted patriots worshiped here, including George Washington, Martha Washington, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams, Samuel Adams, John Hancock, Count Casimir Pulaski and the Marquis de Lafayette.

In 1792 fifty-one chiefs and warriors from the Iroquois Confederacy visited this chapel. Among the chiefs were Sagoyewatha (Red Jacket) and Gyantwakia (Cornplanter). Bishop John Ettwein greeted them, and girls from the Moravian Seminary for Young Ladies read poems in their honor. Afterward, Good Peter, an Oneida warrior, spoke:

We will tell our children and grandchildren what has transpired today, and hope that, at no remote time, they may be favored in their dark wilderness with schools such as are to be found in this happy village, where the grace of the Great Spirit reigns in so peculiar a way.

This tablet was placed here in honor of the two hundred and
fiftieth anniversary of the building of this Moravian chapel.

1751 - 2001

———————

The
Old Chapel
Erected A.D. 1751
Second Place of
worship in
Bethlehem

 
Erected 2001.
 
Location. 40° 37.15′ 
The Old Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
2. The Old Chapel Marker
On the east wall of the Old Chapel, in the courtyard facing Church Street.
N, 75° 22.859′ W. Marker is in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, in Northampton County. Marker is on Heckwelder Place, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is on the north wall of the Old Chapel, near the entrance. Marker is in this post office area: Bethlehem PA 18018, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Old Chapel (a few steps from this marker); Gemein Haus (within shouting distance of this marker); Gemeinhaus (within shouting distance of this marker); Bell House (within shouting distance of this marker); Central Moravian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Sisters' House (within shouting distance of this marker); Restoration of the Nain-Schober House (within shouting distance of this marker); John Frederick Wolle (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Click for a list of all markers in Bethlehem.
 
Also see . . .
1. Moravian College Campus Buildings. (Submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Early History of Bethlehem. (Submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Bishop John Ettwein. (Submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Colonial EraEducationHeroesLandmarksNative AmericansNotable BuildingsNotable EventsPatriots & PatriotismPeaceSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary
 
The Old Chapel and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
3. The Old Chapel and Marker
The Old Chapel and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
4. The Old Chapel and Marker
Bell House (Girl's Seminary) to right.
The Old Chapel and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
5. The Old Chapel and Marker
Gemeinhaus (white clapboard) to left.
The Old Chapel image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., December 22, 2009
6. The Old Chapel
Old Chapel PHMC Marker in right foreground, with Gemeinhaus (white building) in right background, and Bell House at extreme left distance; both are attached to the Old Chapel. View from Heckwelder Place.
<i>Dead House and Old Moravian Chapel, Bethlehem, Pa.</i> image. Click for full size.
Postcard by A.C. Bosselman & Co., circa 1908
7. Dead House and Old Moravian Chapel, Bethlehem, Pa.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 837 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   7. submitted on . This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement