Howth in County Fingal, Leinster, Ireland — Mid-East (and Dublin)
Howth Abbey, St. Marys / “Mainistir” Bhinn Éadair
Howth Abbey, St. Marys
Sigtrygg, King of Dublin, founded the first church here in 1042. When this church was amalgamated with another on Ireland's Eye in 1235, it was re-founded by Luke, Archbishop of Dublin. Much of the present church dates from the 15th and 16th centuries. In the southeastern corner is a chantry containing the tomb of Christopher St. Laurence, carved around 1470, with the effigy of the Knight and his wife on top. Surrounding the tomb can be seen representations of the Crucifixion, St. Michael, St. Thomas of Canterbury, St. Catherine of Alexandria and St. Peter, as well as various coats of arms.
“Mainistir” Bhinn Éadair
Ba é Sigtrygg, Rí Bhaile Átha Cliath, a bhunaigh an chéad eaglais anseo sa bhliain 1042. Nuair a cónascadh í le heaglais eile ar Inis Mac Neasáin sa bhliain 1235, d'athbhunaigh Lúcás, Ard-easpag Bhaile Átha Cliath í. Sa 15ú haois agus sa 16ú haois a tógadh cuid mhaith den eaglais atá ann anois. Sa chúinne thoir theas tá séipéal ina bhfuil tuama Christopher St. Laurence, a snoíodh timpeall na bliana 1470 agus a bhfuil íomhánna den Ridire agus dá bhean ar a bharr. Greanta timpeall an tuama tá Céasadh Chríost, Naomh Mícheál, Naomh Tomás Canterbury, Naomh Caitríona Chathair Alastair agus Naomh Peadar, mar aon le harmais éagsúla.
Location. 53° 23.249′ N, 6° 3.967′ W. Marker is in Howth, Leinster, in County Fingal. Click for map. Marker is on the church wall near the SW corner, with access to the church grounds off Church Street. The grounds are bounded by Harbour Road (R105) to the north and Abbey Street (R105) to the east.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St Mary's Church / Eaglais Mhuire (here, next to this marker); The Lord Killanin (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); Lost At Sea (about 210 meters away); Howth The Village / Binn Éadair ______ (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); The Ready Boat Pillar (approx. half a kilometer away); Balscadden House (approx. 0.6 kilometers away); The Southern Cross Monument (approx. 6.3 kilometers away); The Velvet Strand / An Trá Chaoin (approx. 6.3 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Howth.
Also see . . . Howth St. Mary's Parish. (Submitted on February 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Landmarks • Man-Made Features • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 2,056 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on . 3, 4, 5. submitted on . This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.