Lufkin in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Angelina accompanied the priests to Mexico for further studies, but eventually returned to East Texas to keep Christianity alive among the Indians. She also befriended early French explorers.
Angelina died in the early 1700s. Her grave site is unknown. In 1846, when Angelina County was formed, it was named for the Indian maiden and the Angelina River.
Location. 31° 20.615′ N, 94° 43.559′ W. Marker is in Lufkin, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is at the intersection of North Second Street and Howe Avenue on North Second Street. Click for map. Located at the front entrance to the Pitzner Garrison Civic Center. Marker is at or near this postal address: 601 N Second Street, Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Original site of St. Cyprian's Episcopal Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Lufkin Mantooth Farm (approx. ¼ mile away); Lufkin Telephone Exchange (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of Rehearsal Hall for the The Hoo Hoo Band (approx. 0.3 miles away); Kerr's Inc. (approx. 0.3 miles away); Calder (Cotton) Square (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of Martin Wagon Company (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lufkin.
Categories. • Native Americans • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,473 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.