Near Buena Vista in Marion County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Old Federal Road
The road long served as an emigrant and post route to the West.
Fort Perry, one-half mile due east, was established by General John Floyd’s army when it came this way during the Creek War of 1813-14.
Lafayette travelled this road to Alabama in 1825. He spent the night of March 30 at Spain’s Tavern near Fort Perry.
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 098-2.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 32° 28.687′ N, 84° 32.662′ W. Marker is near Buena Vista, Georgia, in Marion County. Marker is on Georgia Route 41 0 miles north of Fort Perry Road (County Route 49), on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6185 Georgia Highway 41, Buena Vista GA 31803, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Fort Perry (a few steps from this marker); William Bartram Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Courthouse – 1848 (approx. 9.1 miles away); New Courthouse - 1850 (approx. 11.2 miles away); 1831 Talbotton United Methodist Church (approx. 13.5 miles away); a different marker also named William Bartram Trail (approx. 13.6 miles away); Zion Episcopal Church (approx. 13.6 miles away); First Session Supreme Court of Georgia (approx. 13.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Buena Vista.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Roads & Vehicles • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 894 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. 4, 5. submitted on , by Donald Wayne Bell of Clermont, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.