Near Ely in White Pine County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Ward Mining District
A million dollars worth of silver was taken from a single chamber of the Ward Mine, yet the abandoned house was used for the first school and no movement was ever started to build a church.
The town was abandoned by the late 1880's, but new discoveries and better mining methods prompted a resurgence of activity in 1906 and again in the 1960's.
Erected by Nevada State Park System and White Pine Museum Inc. (Marker Number 54.)
Location. 39° 5.334′ N, 114° 45.171′ W. Marker is near Ely, Nevada, in White Pine County. Marker is on U.S. 93, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is about 12 miles south of Ely on US 6/50/93. Marker is in this post office area: Ely NV 89301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Taylor (a few steps from this marker); The Ward Cemetery Ward Charcoal Ovens (approx. 6.1 miles away); a different marker also named Ward Charcoal Ovens (approx. 6.2 miles away); Nevada Northern Railway (approx. 13.2 miles away); Ely - Forging the Link (approx. 13.3 miles away); Jedediah Strong Smith (approx. 14.7 miles away).
More about this marker. This marker shares the same location as Taylor marker. One on each side of the pullout.
Also see . . .
1. A Brief History of The Historic Mining Town. (Submitted on February 10, 2010.)
2. Ward, Nevada. A ghost town area which is now closed to the public. The old cemetery is still accessible. (Submitted on February 10, 2010.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 840 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.