Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Talbotton in Talbot County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Federal Road

 
 
Old Federal Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, August 8, 2003
1. Old Federal Road Marker
Inscription. The Federal Road across the Creek Indian County, western Georgia’s first vehicular way, passed here leading from Fort Hawkins (now Macon) to the Alabama River above Mobile. The trace, which followed closely the course of the earlier noted Lower Creek Trading Path, long served as an important imigrant and post route to the west. It was opened subsequent to the 1805 Treaty of Tellico with the Cherokees.

General John Floyd’s army followed the road to Alabama during the Creek War of 1813-14. LaFayette traveled this way in March, 1825 enroute to Alabama.
 
Erected 1996 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 133-3B.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 32° 38.758′ N, 84° 22.778′ W. Marker is near Talbotton, Georgia, in Talbot County. Marker is on Georgia Route 208 half a mile east of Buckner Road, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9904 Georgia Highway 41, Talbotton GA 31827, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tuscaloosa Formation (approx. 7.4 miles away); 1831 Talbotton United Methodist Church
Old Federal Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 18, 2010
2. Old Federal Road Marker
(approx. 9.5 miles away); William Bartram Trail (approx. 9.5 miles away); Zion Episcopal Church (approx. 9.5 miles away); First Session Supreme Court of Georgia (approx. 9.6 miles away); Straus Home Site (approx. 9.6 miles away); Talbot County (approx. 9.6 miles away); a different marker also named Straus Home Site (approx. 9.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Talbotton.
 
More about this marker. This marker was originally located in Taylor County at the intersection of US Highway 19 and Georgia Highway 208,where it had replaced an earlier marker of the same title and almost identical text erected by the Georgia Historical Commission. At some point between 1997 and 2003 it was moved approximately nine miles to its present location, opposite a newly restored antebellum cottage.
 
Categories. Antebellum South, USNative AmericansRoads & VehiclesWars, US Indian
 
Old Federal Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 18, 2010
3. Old Federal Road Marker
Old Federal Road Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 18, 2010
4. Old Federal Road Marker
Looking west on Georgia Highway 208, toward Talbotton
House on Old Federal Road image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 18, 2010
5. House on Old Federal Road
The marker was moved to stand opposite this house on Georgia Highway 208.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,577 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement