“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Taylor in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

City of Taylor

City of Taylor Marker image. Click for full size.
By Keith Peterson, June 28, 2007
1. City of Taylor Marker
Inscription. When the International & Great Northern Railroad built across Williamson County in 1876, one of the towns created along its route was “Taylorsville,” named for railroad executive Moses Taylor. Lots were sold in June, and the post office opened on August 9, 1876. The earliest settlers included railroad officials such as I.&G.N. president John R. Hoxie and agent Henry Dickson, and merchants such as C. p. Vance, who moved his general store from Circleville. John McMurray started a private school, and Moritmer R. Hoxie donated land for a cemetery. Methodist and Presbyterian churches were organized in 1876, and other congregations the following year. Located on a cattle trail, the new community soon became a major shipping point for cattle. A second rail line, the Missouri, Kansas & Texas, was extended to Taylorsville in 1882, spurring further growth. The town was incorporated in 1882 with Daniel Moody, father of Texas governor Dan Moody (1893–1966), as its first mayor. In 1892 the city’s name was shortened to “Taylor.” By that time, cotton had joined cattle and the railroad as an important element in the local economy. Today light industry and diversified farming contribute to Taylor’s prosperity.
Erected 1976 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9358.)
Location. 30° 34.278′ N, 97° 24.585′ W. Marker is in Taylor, Texas, in Williamson County. Marker is on North Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Taylor TX 76574, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bill Pickett (within shouting distance of this marker); Preslar-Hewitt Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Eikel-Prewitt Building (about 300 feet away); Taylor Post Office (about 500 feet away); First Presbyterian Church of Taylor (about 500 feet away); First Christian Church of Taylor (about 600 feet away); Taylor National Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Taylor Public Schools (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Taylor.
Also see . . .
1. Handbook of Texas Online: Taylor, TX. (Submitted on September 27, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
2. City of Taylor Official Website. (Submitted on September 27, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,151 times since then and 53 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement