Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cookeville in Putnam County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Dixie College

 
 
Dixie College Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Gillard, February 13, 2010
1. Dixie College Marker
Inscription. This quadrangle was part of the grounds of the University of Dixie, commonly called "Dixie College," chartered 18 Nov. 1909. Jere Whitson and other Cookeville citizens led the drive for the college; Whitson donated twelve acres for the institution. Construction began 16 May 1911. In Sept, 1912, high school and junior college classes began in a building where Derryberry Hall now stands. In 1915 the Dixie Board ceded its property to the State to endow the present University
 
Location. 36° 10.429′ N, 85° 30.25′ W. Marker is in Cookeville, Tennessee, in Putnam County. Marker is on Quadrangle just from W L Jones Dr.. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cookeville TN 38505, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Walton Road - Old Burnt Stand (approx. 0.3 miles away); Town Spring (approx. 0.7 miles away); Tennessee Central Depot (approx. 0.7 miles away); Putnam County Courthouses (approx. 0.8 miles away); Israel Putnam (approx. 0.8 miles away); Old Salem Methodist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); White Plains (approx. 3 miles away); a different marker also named White Plains (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cookeville.
 
Categories. Education
 
Dixie College Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Gillard, February 13, 2010
2. Dixie College Marker
The Golden Eagle, which sits on the tower atop Derryberry Hall today, first appeared on the campus during the 1952-53 school year, when a group of students “borrowed” it from a Monteagle motel for a pre-game rally. At the request of Governor Frank G. Clement, the owner, John W. Harton, gave the eagle to Tech on June 5, 1958. The Governor announced that he would pardon the people who stole the eagle. The eagle received its golden finish in 1961, when it was placed in itís present location.
Tennessee Tech Eagle image. Click for full size.
By Tom Gillard, February 13, 2010
3. Tennessee Tech Eagle
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 730 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee.   3. submitted on , by Tom Gillard of Tullahoma, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement