Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Valdosta in Lowndes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

First Presbyterian Church

 
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
1. First Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription. Organized by settlers from Liberty County on Dec 3, 1864. The first minister, Rev. Eli Graves, came from Brooks County once a month to hold services in the courthouse before the first church was dedicated in 1867. Early elders were S.M. Varnedoe, R. M. Campbell, and S. E. Myddleton, with W.A. Pardee, Deacon. In 1891 a second building was dedicated. The present building, erected in 1907-1909 and designed by J.W. Butt and M.E. Morris, Atlanta, was placed on the National Register of Historic Places, Nov 2, 1987.
 
Erected 1993 by The Valdosta Town Committee.
 
Location. 30° 50.04′ N, 83° 16.823′ W. Marker is in Valdosta, Georgia, in Lowndes County. Marker is at the intersection of North Patterson Street (Alternate Georgia Route 31) and East Magnolia Street, on the left when traveling south on North Patterson Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 313 North Patterson Street, Valdosta GA 31601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lowndes County (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Christian Science Church (approx. mile away); Site of Cotton Exchange (approx. mile away); Nationsbank
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
2. First Presbyterian Church Marker
(approx. mile away); Valdosta Institute (approx. mile away); Troop Encampment Site (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Carnegie Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Valdosta.
 
Also see . . .  First Presbyterian Church of Valdosta. A history of the church. (Submitted on February 17, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
 
Categories. 20th CenturyChurches, Etc.
 
First Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 19, 2010
3. First Presbyterian Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 577 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement