Inscription. Approximately six miles to the north, near Hog Island Creek, is the site of Lawne’s Creek Church. Authorized in 1629 as a “chapel of ease” for the settlers in the area by the Council and General Court of Colonial Virginia, the church was the site of a meeting in 1673 to protest unjust taxation and government without representation and to manifest a spirit of religious independence.
By Laura Troy, September 23, 2007
|1. Lawne's Creek Church Marker|
Erected 1981 by the Thomas Rolfe Branch of the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities. (Marker Number K-300.)
Location. 37° 5.548′ N, 76° 43.401′ W. Marker is in Poolesville, Virginia, in Surry County. Marker is at the intersection of Colonial Trail East (Route 10) and Hog Island Road (County Route 650) on Colonial Trail East. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Surry VA 23883, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bacon’s Castle (approx. 0.9 miles away); Poole’s Funeral Home (approx. 0.9 miles away); Hog Island (approx. one mile away); Quiyoughcohannock Indians (approx. 1.7 miles away); Surry County / Isle of Wight County (approx. 2.1 miles away); Fort Huger (approx. 2.4 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Huger (approx. 3.6 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Huger (approx. 3.6 miles away).
Credits. This page originally submitted on September 23, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,737 times since then. Last updated on September 30, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. Photo 1. submitted on September 23, 2007, by Laura Troy of Burke, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |