Murrisk in County Mayo, Connacht, Ireland — Irish West
Murrisk Friary / Mainistir Mhuraisce
Murrisk - from Muraisc (Sea-marsh)
This small house of Augustinian friars, located here on the south shore of Clew Bay in the shadow of Croagh Patrick, was founded in 1457 by Hugh O'Malley. It was dedicated to St Patrick, some of whose relics were preserved here.
The only surviving buildings are the small church and the range of domestic buildings which bordered the cloister on its east side - the chapter house below, where the friars met to discuss business and read the daily chapter of the order's rule, and the dormitory above. The cloister itself has disappeared. The church has unusual battlemented walls and a fine east window which once threw sunlight onto the altar. A bell-tower was sited at the west end of the church rather than in the centre as is more usual, but this had fallen before the end of the 18th century.
Is é Aodh Ó Máille a bhunaigh an mhainistir bheag seo, atá ar bhruach theas Chuan Mó agus faoi scáth Chruach Phádraig, sa bhliain 1457. Mainistir Aguistíneach a bhí inti, le Naomh Pádraig mar phátrún aici, agus taisí naofa leis ar coimeád inti tráth.
Ní mhaireann anois ach an eaglais bheag agus sraith foirgneamh tís - teach na caibidle thíos agus an seomra mór codlata thuas - thart timpeall
Erected by The Office of Public Works / Oifig na nOibreacha Poiblí.
Location. 53° 46.927′ N, 9° 38.386′ W. Marker is in Murrisk, Connacht, in County Mayo. Click for map. Marker is in the cemetery, adjacent to the NW corner of the church ruins, immediately south of Murrisk Millenium Park, and about 300 meters north of the Croagh Patrick Visitor Center parking lot off Road R335.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Squadron Leader R. F. C. Garvey (within shouting distance of this marker); National Famine Memorial (about 210 meters away, measured in a direct line); Murrisk Abbey / National Famine Monument / Statue of St Patrick (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Murrisk Fisherman's Monument (approx. one kilometer away); Major John Mac Bride / Seán Mac Giolla Bríde Lime Kiln, Moneen, (approx. 9.6 kilometers away); Famine Museum and Granuaile Centre, Louisburgh (approx. 11.4 kilometers away); Srahwee or Altóir Megalithic Wedge Tomb (approx. 14.8 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in Murrisk.
Also see . . .
1. Murrisk Friary. (Submitted on February 16, 2010.)
2. Murrisk Abbey. (Submitted on February 16, 2010.)
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Education • Landmarks • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 1,377 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on . This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.