Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Jackson in Amador County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

The Louisiana House

Built in 1862

 
 
The Louisiana House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 13, 2010
1. The Louisiana House Marker
Inscription. Known as the National Hotel from 1913 to 1962, this hostelry is built over double springs at which earlier gold seekers stopped to refresh themselves. It has been in constant operation since 1862 and has served as a focal point for “community doings” since its beginnings.

 
Erected 1962 by James W. Marshall Chapter No.49, E Clampus Vitus.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 38° 20.885′ N, 120° 46.411′ W. Marker is in Jackson, California, in Amador County. Marker is at the intersection of Water Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling east on Water Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 Water Street, Jackson CA 95642, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of 1852 Louisiana House (a few steps from this marker); Rocca's Hall, Theatre, Arena (a few steps from this marker); Wells Fargo Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Sharp's Drug, Ginocchio's Store (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Spring
The Louisiana House image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 13, 2010
2. The Louisiana House
Marker can be seen mounted on the front of the building.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Union Hotel & Odd Fellows Hall Lodge #36 (within shouting distance of this marker); Wells Fargo & Co. Express and Banking Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Masonic Hall & Court House (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Jackson.
 
More about this marker. Marker is mounted on the front of the building to the left of the entrance door.

As of this date the business is closed and not operating.
 
Regarding The Louisiana House. From the Historic Main Street in Jackson walking tour brochure:
“This is probably the second inhabited site in downtown Jackson, the first being up-trail. Ellis Evans came in 1850 and had his butcher shop here. Then with partners D.C. White and Armstrong Askey, they built a two-story wooden hotel named the Louisiana House. It burned down in the ’62 fire. By spring of 1863 the same owners erected a new brick hostelry and renamed it the National Hotel, that being more politically prudent during the Civil War. Over the years the owners extended it and added a story. The late John Wayne was a big loser in an epic poker game here back in the early 1960’s.”
 
Also see . . .  Jackson’s National Hotel. (Submitted on February 18, 2010.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 1,148 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement