Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nacogdoches in Nacogdoches County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First United Methodist Church of Nacogdoches

 
 
First United Methodist Church of Nacogdoches Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, February 6, 2010
1. First United Methodist Church of Nacogdoches Marker
Inscription. At least one Methodist sermon was preached in Nacogdoches before 1821, according to tradition. After religious freedom was established by the Republic of Texas, Missionary Littleton Fowler (1803-1846) preached here on Oct. 16,1837, and soon founded this church. This was the first Protestant congregation organized in Nacogdoches after the Texas War for Independence. It began as an 18 - member "Methodist Society." Volunteering for service in Texas, the Rev. Samuel A. Williams came here from Tennessee in 1838 as the first pastor. By 1859 the Methodists were known as the active Protestants in town, by 1860 there had been 12 or more successive pastors. After meeting in homes and other places, this congregation built a church across the street from this site in 1860. A larger frame church, built in 1887 on this site, was lost in a fire in 1907. A brick building was erected in 1910. In 1925 this congregation participated in the founding of Perrite Memorial Methodist Church, on the west side of the city. In 1929 it helped establish a bible chair at Stephen F Austin State Teachers' College (later a state university). The present church building was completed in 1969.
 
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9273.)
 
Location. 31° 
First United Methodist Church of Nacogdoches image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, February 6, 2010
2. First United Methodist Church of Nacogdoches
36.279′ N, 94° 39.278′ W. Marker is in Nacogdoches, Texas, in Nacogdoches County. Marker is at the intersection of Hospital Street and Pecan St., on the right when traveling west on Hospital Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 E. Hospital Street, Nacogdoches TX 75961, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the home of James Dill (within shouting distance of this marker); Milam Lodge #2, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of Texas (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Durst-Taylor House (about 400 feet away); Thomas Jefferson Rusk (about 500 feet away); Nacogdoches Federal Building / Post Office (about 600 feet away); Texas Stagecoaches, C.S.A. (about 600 feet away); Old Spanish Cemetery (about 600 feet away); Battle of Nacogdoches (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Nacogdoches.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 720 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement