Near Bertram in Burnet County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Shady Grove Community
The settlement boasted a cotton gin and corn mill, a general store and blacksmith shop, a doctor and a Masonic Lodge. In 1882 the Presbyterian, Methodist and Baptist congregations built a Union Arbor for camp meetings and revivals. For a few months in 1902 there was a post office. Since there was another Shady Grove in Texas, the name "Tamega" was used. A general store by that name operated here for 50 years.
The Presbyterian fellowship erected this church structure first and then in 1905 built this tabernacle. The school consolidated with Bertram in 1942. When the Presbyterian congregation merged with Bertram in 1966, this property became a community center and homecoming site.
Erected 1979 by the Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9747.)
Location. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bertram TX 78605, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Town of Strickling (approx. 2.1 miles away); Black's Fort (approx. 2.3 miles away); Joppa Community (approx. 3.1 miles away); Bertram (approx. 5 miles away); Bertram School (approx. 5.2 miles away); Bethel Cemetery (approx. 5.5 miles away); Mount Zion Cemetery (approx. 6.4 miles away); Mount Blanc School (approx. 7.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bertram.
Also see . . . Handbook of Texas Online. Shady Grove, TX (Submitted on February 18, 2010, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 635 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. 3, 4. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.