Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Orange in New Haven County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Orange

 
 
Orange Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, February 15, 2010
1. Orange Marker
Inscription.
Orange
This rural community was originally a northern part of Wepawaug, purchased from the Paugussett Indians in 1639 by the Reverend Peter Prudden's Milford Colony, which became part of New Haven Colony in 1643.
The area was settled shortly after 1700 and was early known as Bryan's Farms. In 1804 the Ecclesiastical Society of North Milford was chartered here.
The Town of Orange was incorporated May 28, 1822 from North Milford and the adjacent parish of West Haven, which separated as a town in 1921.
Orange was named after William, Prince of Orange, in appreciation for benefits received by the Connecticut Colony.
Erected by the Orange Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
1972
 
Erected 1972 by Orange Historical Society, Connecticut Historical Commission.
 
Location. 41° 16.734′ N, 73° 1.541′ W. Marker is in Orange, Connecticut, in New Haven County. Marker is at the intersection of Tyler City Road and Orange Center Road, on the right when traveling south on Tyler City Road. Click for map. Located next to Orange Town Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 617 Orange Center Road, Orange CT 06477, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
Orange Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, February 15, 2010
2. Orange Marker
within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Orange Veterans Monument (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sacred to the Memory (about 600 feet away); Adjutant William Campbell (approx. 3.4 miles away); A Connecticut Minutemanís Homestead (approx. 3.7 miles away); Allingtown World War I Monument (approx. 3.7 miles away); VFW Post 1684 Memorial (approx. 3.7 miles away); Soldiersí and Sailorsí Monument (approx. 3.7 miles away); West Haven Twilight League 1933 (approx. 3.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Orange.
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 754 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement