Monroe in Monroe County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Old Whipping Post
Peter P. Ferry, a former soldier of Napoleon's army, served as a local justice of the peace. He sentenced many an offender to be lashed in public until the custom was abolished around 1835.
The first frame courthouse was built across the street from here in 1817 when Monroe became the county seat. The whipping post was erected in front of it.
Erected by Monroe County Historical Society.
Location. 41° 54.914′ N, 83° 23.826′ W. Marker is in Monroe, Michigan, in Monroe County. Marker is on East First Street west of Washington Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. This historic marker is located in the downtown area of Monroe, in the southwest corner of Loranger Square. Marker is in this post office area: Monroe MI 48161, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Presbyterian Church (a few steps from this marker); Doctor Eduard Dorsch (within shouting distance of this marker); Monroe County Since 1817 (within shouting distance of this marker); Historical Museum (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Historic Crossroad (about 500 feet away); Editor Ellis, 1825 (about 600 feet away); Monroe's Soldiers (about 700 feet away); Monroe Street Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Monroe.
Categories. • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,358 times since then and 67 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.