Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bishopville in Lee County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Bishopville

 
 
Bishopville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, 2010
1. Bishopville Marker
Inscription. A trading center and polling place for Upper Salem in old Claremont County in the early 1800's, Bishopville was laid out on land acquired by Dr. Jacques Bishop. In 1824 a post office was established here. The town was chartered in 1888. When Lee County was organized in 1902, commemorating Gen. Robert E. Lee, it became the county seat.
 
Erected 1963 by The Lee County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 31-5.)
 
Location. 34° 13.046′ N, 80° 14.976′ W. Marker is in Bishopville, South Carolina, in Lee County. Marker is on South Main Street (U.S. 15), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Located between Gregg Street and Deschamps Street. Marker is in this post office area: Bishopville SC 29010, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lee County Monument to the Confederate Dead (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Ratcliff's Bridge (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Apollos James House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Felix Anthony "Doc" Blanchard (approx. ╝ mile away); Flag Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); Dennis High School
Bishopville Marker, looking westward along South Main Street image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 18, 2010
2. Bishopville Marker, looking westward along South Main Street
(approx. half a mile away); Thomas Gordon McLeod (approx. half a mile away); Bishopville High School (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bishopville.
 
Also see . . .  Lee County, a Historical essay. Prior to the American Revolution, the area that now constitutes Lee County was mainly a wilderness with only a few primitive houses scattered over a large area (Submitted on February 20, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.) 
 
Categories. Political Subdivisions
 
Bishopville Marker, looking west along South Main Street (US 15) image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 18, 2010
3. Bishopville Marker, looking west along South Main Street (US 15)
Bishopville , Lee County Courthouse and Confederate Monument image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 18, 2010
4. Bishopville , Lee County Courthouse and Confederate Monument
Bishopville - Lee County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, February 18, 2010
5. Bishopville - Lee County Courthouse
National Register of Historic Places:
Lee County Courthouse ** (added 1981 - Building - #81000568)
Lee County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
South Carolina Department of Archives and History, circa 1981
6. Lee County Courthouse
Lee County Courthouse, the first and only courthouse for Lee County, was built six years after the formation of the county in 1902. The courthouse was financed by two bond issues at a cost of $75,000 and was considered one of the finest, most modern courthouses in the state. Lee County, named after Robert E. Lee, was formed from portions of Sumter, Kershaw, and Darlington Counties. The Neo-Classical design, the formality of the composition, and the stone and yellow brick construction suggest a Roman precedent, both of architecture and of law. The courthouse was built in 1908-1909 by contractor Nicholas Ittner of Atlanta. William A. Edwards, of the firm of Edwards and Walter, Atlanta, was the architect. The courthouse is a three-story brick and stone building of Neo-Classical design. A colossal portico in antis defines the fašade. The portico features four stone Tuscan columns on stone pedestals, with paired pilaster at the junctions of the portico and the single-bay pavilions which flank the portico. The body of the courthouse is of yellow brick, laid in American Flemish bond, with flush mortar joints. Stone trim is used throughout for window surrounds, water table, and the entablature. A Civil War memorial, a mounted cannon, and a flagpole occupy the courthouse grounds. Listed in the National Register October 30, 1981.(South Carolina Department of Archives and History)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 743 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement