Decatur in Morgan County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
A County Older Than The State, Morgan County
Named Morgan County in 1821 for Maj. Gen. Daniel Morgan, Revolutionary hero, winner over British at Battle of Cowpens. County was often invaded by both armies in War between the States.
Until 1891 county seat at Somerville. Then county seat moved to Decatur. Named for Stephen Decatur, naval hero against Tripoli pirates and in War of 1812.
Erected 1958 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 34° 36.455′ N, 86° 59.045′ W. Marker is in Decatur, Alabama, in Morgan County. Marker is on Cain Street Northeast west of Ferry Street Northeast, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Located on the northside of the Morgan County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Decatur AL 35601, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. War in Vietnam (within shouting distance of this marker); World War One (within shouting distance of this marker); Korean War (within shouting distance of this marker); “A Hard Nut To Crack” - Federal Defenses at Decatur (approx. 0.3 miles away); “An Affair Most Important to Us” - The Federal Right, October 27-28, 1864 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Battle of Decatur (approx. 0.4 miles away); Old State Bank Building (approx. half a mile away); Hood’s Middle Tennessee Campaign and The Battle for Decatur (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Decatur.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Government • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War of 1812 • War, US Civil • War, Vietnam •
Credits. This page originally submitted on February 20, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,277 times since then. Photos: 1. submitted on February 20, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. 2, 3. submitted on February 21, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.