Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stafford in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Stafford's Point

 
 
Stafford's Point Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, January 22, 2010
1. Stafford's Point Marker
Inscription. One of Stephen F. Austin's "Old 300," William J. Stafford (1764-1840), founded the settlement of Stafford's Point on the 6819.7-acre land grant he received in the winter of 1824. Bringing his family and slaves from his Louisiana sugar plantation, he was planting much land and had a sugar mill and cotton gin in operation by 1834. His manager, Clement C. Dyer (1800-64), a lawyer, political leader, and (later) county judge, married Stafford's daughter, Sarah (1809-74). Early residents of the Stafford's Point community included families of Sam Bell, Elijah Roark, Dr. P. W. Rose, Moses Shipman, and Mr. West. Dr. Rose, a former U. S. Army surgeon, tended the sick and also hired (1834) a teacher for his children and ten others studying in a one-room schoolhouse. In the Runaway Scrape of 1836, the settlers and their slaves fled east as Santa Anna's Army camped here, pillaging homes and mills. Stafford's Point was resettled after the War for Independence, and again prospered. The Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado, first railroad in Texas, was completed from Harrisburg to this village in 1853. From 1915 to 1925, a number of Sicilian families moved here from Brazos County. Stafford's Point was incorporated into the town of Stafford in 1956.
 
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 9068.)
Stafford's Point Marker next to library. image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, January 22, 2010
2. Stafford's Point Marker next to library.

 
Location. 29° 37.424′ N, 95° 34.985′ W. Marker is in Stafford, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is at the intersection of Dulles Avenue and Viking Lane, on the right when traveling south on Dulles Avenue. Click for map. Next to the Mamie George Branch of the Fort Bend County Libraries. Marker is at or near this postal address: 320 Dulles Avenue, Stafford TX 77477, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado (approx. 1.8 miles away); Sugar Land Refinery (approx. 3.2 miles away); Texas Prison System Central State Farm Main Building (approx. 4.8 miles away); Hodge's Bend Cemetery (approx. 4.9 miles away); Bellaire (approx. 8.8 miles away); Bellaire Presbyterian Church (approx. 9 miles away); Bellaire Streetcar Line (approx. 9 miles away); Texan Capture of Mexican Dispatches (approx. 9.1 miles away).
 
Categories. Notable PersonsRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & SettlersWar, Texas Independence
 
Stafford's Point Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jim Evans, May 4, 2014
3. Stafford's Point Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,330 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas.   3. submitted on , by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement