Summerton in Clarendon County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Summerton Presbyterian Church
This church, founded in 1875 as a mission of the Presbyterian Church in Manning, grew out of occasional services held in the Methodist church before the Civil War. The first worship site, a renovated carriage house, was located ½ mi. east at Wildwood Plantation, on Taw Caw Road.
Summerton Presbyterian Church was formally organized in 1883 with twenty-one charter members. A frame church was built on Main St. in 1885, but by 1905 the congregation wished to move from the downtown business district and began work on the present brick sanctuary here, completed in 1907.
Erected 2001 by the Congregation for the 125th Anniversary and in Memory of C. Alex Harvin, Jr., 2001. (Marker Number 14-14.)
Location. 33° 36.324′ N, 80° 21.086′ W. Marker is in Summerton, South Carolina, in Clarendon County. Marker is on South Cantey Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Summerton SC 29148, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Patriot Departs to Ride with Marion (approx. 0.2 miles away); Anne Custis Burgess (approx. 0.2 miles away); Elusive Francis Marion, 1780-1781 Siege of Fort Watson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wagon Travel (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Patriot and the Redcoat (approx. 0.2 miles away); Senn's Mill (approx. ¼ mile away); "Together Let Us Sweetly Live" (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Summerton.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 770 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.