Huntsville in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
The Church Of The Nativity, Episcopal
The Church of the Nativity congregation was organized December 17, 1842 - the name chosen because of the approaching Christmas season. The Convention of the Diocese of Alabama, Protestant Episcopal Church, approved the congregation on February 16, 1843. The original brick church, erected in 1847, stood east of the present structure.
The present church building, an outstanding example of Gothic Revival architecture, was designed by Frank Wills and Henry Dudley of New York. Erected at a cost of $37,500, it was dedicated Easter Eve, April 13, 1859, and consecrated January 29, 1860.
National Historic Landmark - 1990.
(Continued on other side)
Bibb Chapel was consecrated in 1886 as a memorial to Wilson Carey Bibb. Ridley Hall, for parish functions, was completed in 1953 as a memorial to Dr. James L. Ridley. Joffrion Hall, dedicated in 1983 as an educational building, was named for the Rev. A. Emile Joffrion, ninth rector.
For 150 years, Nativity was served by only ten rectors, two of whom became bishops. The Rev. Henry C. Lay, second rector, was consecrated Missionary Bishop of the Southwest (1859). The Rev. Randolph R. Claiborne, Jr. seventh rector, was consecrated Suffragan Bishop, Diocese of Alabama (1949) and became Bishop
Erected 2001 by Alabama Historical Association.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. 34° 43.824′ N, 86° 35.01′ W. Marker is in Huntsville, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is on Eustis Avenue Southeast, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 Eustis Avenue Southeast, Huntsville AL 35801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Calhoun House (within shouting distance of this marker); Tallulah Bankhead / I. Schiffman Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Site The Huntsville Inn (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Harrison Brothers Hardware (about 300 feet away); Randolph Street Church Of Christ (about 400 feet away); Site - Alabama’s First Constitutional Convention (about 400 feet away); Howard Weeden Home (about 400 feet away); Methodism brought into area 1807 First United Methodist Church (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Huntsville.
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Churches, Etc. • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,596 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.