Brentsville in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Brentsville - County Courthouse
(caption beside small picture on left) Courthouse builder William Claytor left his mark on a stone above the front door. The reason for his and the County’s misspelled names is unknown.
Here, county Magistrates ruled in criminal and civil cases, levied taxes, and oversaw all county governmental functions. On court days, citizens converged on the Courthouse to hear cases and learn of Magistrates’ decisions. In 1850, Virginia’s new Constitution transferred local political authority from Magistrates to elected officials. Prince William’s Board of County Supervisors first met here in 1870.
(caption under center, top picture) This drawing shows the alterations scheduled to occur within the Courthouse as Prince William County’s Commissioner of the Public Lot, George W. Macrea, remembered them on June 6, 1837. It is unknown whether all of these changes were made.
Clerk’s Loose Papers
When the County seat moved to Brentsville, Virginians still relied on political and legal practices established during the colonial period. Justices, or Magistrates, received lifetime appointments from the County Court and were approved by the Governor. The Chief Magistrate was usually the Court’s oldest member. Twelve Magistrates were appointed, but all rarely sat on a case. From one to twelve Magistrates would rule on a case, depending on the charge and the defendant. While most Magistrates were wealthy and influential county citizens, few were actually trained in law.
After the Civil War
The Courthouse was damaged during the Civil War. After the war, Court convened at various locations, including St. James Episcopal Church across the street, while the Courthouse was repaired. The County Clerk moved to the Courthouse since the war had destroyed his office. In 1893, the County seat moved to Manassas, as the railroad had transformed that town into the county’s economic and social center. This building then housed schools and a community center. In 2006, the Courthouse was restored to its 1830s’ appearance.
(caption under lower, right picture) This photograph shows the Courthouse before 1910.
Courtesy of the Manassas Museum, Manassas, Virginia.
Erected 2007 by Prince William County and the Friends of Brentsville Courthouse Historic Centre.
Location. 38° 41.379′ N, 77° 29.989′ W. Marker is in Brentsville, Virginia, in Prince William County. Click for map. Prince William County and the Friends of Brentsville Courthouse Historic Centre added several markers to this area in May 2007. This marker is between the Jail and Courthouse buildings. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12235 Bristow Road, Dayton MD 21036, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 12 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brentsville - County Jail (here, next to this marker); Brentsville (a few steps from this marker); Brentsville - The Public Lot (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville - One-Room School (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Brentsville (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville – Clerks’ Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville – Tavern Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Brentsville - The Gallows John W. Hall Home (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Brentsville –Tavern Cellar (about 300 feet away); Brentsville – Outbuildings (about 300 feet away); Brentsville – The Tavern (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Brentsville.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Notable Buildings • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,057 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.