Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Hampton - Preston House
Erected 1938 by The Columbia Sesquicentennial Commission of 1936. (Marker Number 40-7.)
Location. 34° 0.619′ N, 81° 1.764′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Blanding Street. Click for map. Located between Henderson Street and Pickens Street. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Columbia Bible College, 1937-1960 / Westervelt Home, 1930 - 1937 (a few steps from this marker); Former Site of Columbia Theological Seminary (a few steps from this marker); Original Site of Winthrop College (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Columbia Male Academy (about 500 feet away); Church of the Good Shepard (about 600 feet away); Colonel Thomas Taylor (approx. 0.2 miles away); Seibels House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Original Site of Columbia College (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbia.
Regarding Hampton - Preston House. The Hampton-Preston House is a handsome city mansion that was built in 1818 by Ainsley Hall, a Columbia merchant. Robert Yates was the contractor and Zachariah Philips served in the capacity of architect. Hall sold the house to the first Wade Hampton, fighter in the American Revolution and general in the War of 1812, planter, businessman, developer of the American West. His son, Wade Hampton II, lived in the house as did Wade Hampton III, the Civil War general, and state governor. The house is also associated with leading South Carolinian and state senator, John S. Preston. The South Carolina Presbyterian Institute for Young Ladies, later Chicora College, acquired the mansion in 1890. The house is of a post-Colonial, Classical Revival style, having a broad veranda across the front with Doric columns and a fanlight above. Inside is a sweeping circular stairway
(South Carolina Department of Archives and History)
National Register of Historic Places:
Hampton-Preston House ** (added 1969 - - #69000172)
♦ Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering, Person
♦ Architect, builder, or engineer: Yates,Robert, Philips,Zachariah
♦ Architectural Style: Other
♦ Historic Person: Preston, John S.
♦ Significant Year: 1818
♦ Area of Significance: Education, Politics/Government, Landscape Architecture, Religion
♦ Period of Significance: 1875-1899, 1850-1874, 1825-1849, 1825-1849
♦ Owner: State
♦ Historic Function: Domestic
♦ Historic Sub-function: Single Dwelling
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,078 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 5. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.