Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mullins in Marion County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Mullins Depot / Mullins

 
 
Mullins Depot Face of Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, February 16, 2010
1. Mullins Depot Face of Marker
Inscription. Mullins Depot. The town of Mullins, first known as Mullins Depot, grew up as a result of the opening of the Wilmington and Manchester Railroad in 1854. Land for the railroad’s buildings and for the right-of-way was given here by William S. Mullins (1824–1878( who was elected Wilmington and Manchester president in 1857. A frame railroad depot, constructed here in 1901, was remodeled in 1931 as it is today.

Mullins. The town of Mullins was incorporated March 4, 1872 by an act of the S.C. General Assembly which set town limits “half a mile north, one-quarter of a mile east and west, and one-third of a mile south” from a stake near here. Dr. Rudolph Vampill was elected first intendant and A. E. Gilchrist, D. W. Ketchum, James Norton, and Stephen Smith, wardens. Smith was also the community's first postmaster, appointed in 1855.
 
Erected 1981 by Marion County Historical Society. (Marker Number 34-9.)
 
Location. 34° 12.33′ N, 79° 15.264′ W. Marker is in Mullins, South Carolina, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Route 41) and NE, NW, SE, and SW Front Streets, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Click for map. It is at
Mullins Face of Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, February 16, 2010
2. Mullins Face of Marker
the South Carolina Tobacco Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Mullins SC 29574, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Christ Prayer Chapel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Mt. Olive Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Drowning Creek (approx. 6.7 miles away); Bluefields (approx. 8.3 miles away); Marion Depot (approx. 8.4 miles away); Francis Marion (approx. 8.5 miles away); To the Dead and Living Confederate Soldiers (approx. 8.6 miles away); Marion County / Marion Courthouse (approx. 8.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Mullins.
 
Also see . . .  Brief History. “For awhile, Mullins, like its neighbor Nichols, engaged in the turpentine industry, but it was the tobacco market which boosted the economy and drew new settlers to the town. W.W. Sellers states, in his History of Marion County, that the 1890 census showed a population for Mullins of 282. Tobacco was introduced to the area in 1894. The first tobacco sale took place on August 28, 1895, and by 1900 the population had grown to over 800. The Mullins Tobacco Market sold more tobacco than any other market in the state -- over 4 million pounds in 1900 -- and by 1901, Mullins had three large tobacco warehouses, employing over 400 people.” (Submitted on February 26, 2010.)
Mullins Depot / Mullins Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, February 16, 2010
3. Mullins Depot / Mullins Marker
 
 
Categories. Political SubdivisionsRailroads & Streetcars
 
Mullins Depot, Trackside image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, February 16, 2010
4. Mullins Depot, Trackside
A lot of tobacco shipped from this depot.
Mullins Depot, Streetside image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, February 16, 2010
5. Mullins Depot, Streetside
It now houses the Mullins Chamber of Commerce and the South Carolina Tobacco Museum.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 762 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement