“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Easton in Fresno County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)

Easton / Washington Union High School District

Easton side of the Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson
1. Easton side of the Marker
This side can be seen from Elm.
[Side A:]
In 1878, O.W. Easton and J.P. Whitney, San Francisco entrepreneurs, bought a total of 12 sections of land in this area (7680 acres), formed the Washington Irrigated Colony and began selling 20-acre farms. Allen T. Covell was the superintendent and resident manager of the Colony, established the townsite that came to be called Covell. The town was composed of lots, each of which came as a bonus to the purchaser of a 20-acre farm. As the community grew and the postal areas were rearranged, the community was renamed Easton.

[Side B:]
Washington Union
High Scool District.
One hundred years ago, voters of the area formed the Washington Union High School District, but initial classes were held in the Easton Towh Hall and in the Easton Park. Finally in 1901, the first school building was constructed on the site at a cost of $7,500. The building was destroyed by fire in 1923 and a new school was built in 1924 at a cost of $145,000. There were verious additions as the population increased including a nine-classrom unit in 1961, but the entire building was razed in 1972 and a hew high school complex was dedicated in 1975.
Erected 1992 by E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 35.)
Marker series.
Washington Union High School District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, circa 1997
2. Washington Union High School District Marker
This side of the monument is actually the back side and can be seen from Lincoln.
This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 36° 38.917′ N, 119° 47.45′ W. Marker is in Easton, California, in Fresno County. Marker is at the intersection of South Elm Avenue and West Lincoln Avenue, on the right when traveling south on South Elm Avenue. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6041 South Elm Avenue, Fresno CA 93706, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Moses J. Church (approx. 4.1 miles away but has been reported missing); The Fresno Brewing Company (approx. 5.5 miles away); China Alley (approx. 5.6 miles away); The Basque Hotel (approx. 5.7 miles away); Billy Vukovich Memorial (approx. 5.8 miles away); Young Corbett III (approx. 5.8 miles away); Green Bush Spring (approx. 5.9 miles away); William Saroyan (approx. 6 miles away).
More about this marker. The monument is 2 sided commemorating the high school on one side and the settlement of Easton on the other side. It once sat on what was Highway 41 at Lincoln, but with the new Freeway 41, the old route reverted to South Elm. Take Yosemite Freeway 41 and exit at Lincoln.

The marker sits on a grassy patch about 15 yards from the larger Washington Union High School sign on Elm.
Regarding Easton / Washington Union High School District. The area was made usable by a system of canals that brought water from the foothills making what was once arid desert like land usable farmland. The nearby Washington Colony cemetery dates from the time the Washington Irrigated Colony was set up in the 1870's.
Categories. AgricultureEducationHorticulture & ForestrySettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. This page has been viewed 2,291 times since then and 137 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement