“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fresno in Fresno County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)

Fort Washington

Fort Washington Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, March 15, 2009
1. Fort Washington Marker
Inscription. Approximately 2 miles north of this point, Fort Washintgon was built in the spring of 1850 by Wiley B Cassity (Cassady or Cassidy), Charls D. Gibbes, Major Lane and others. This fort, probably the first building erected in Fresno County, served as protection for miners and travelers during the Indian uprisings of 1850-51. Cassity and Gibbes operated a ferry across the San Joaquin River northeast of the fort. Cassity was slain by the Indians on Feb. 25, 1851. The fort was destroyed by flood, probably in the spring of 1852.
Dedicated November 19, 1961
by Jim Savage Chapter 1852,
E Clampus Vitus

Erected 1961 by E Clampus Vitus, Jim Savage Chapter 1852. (Marker Number 3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 36° 53.133′ N, 119° 45.6′ W. Marker is in Fresno, California, in Fresno County. Marker can be reached from North Millbrook Avenue/Fort Washington Road. Click for map. One half mile east on the Fort Washington Country Club Access Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10272 North Millbrook Avenue, Fresno CA 93730, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as
Fort Washington Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lester J Letson, April 15, 2007
2. Fort Washington Marker
the crow flies. Tarpey Depot (approx. 5.3 miles away); Clovis Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.4 miles away); Sierra Sky Park (approx. 6.9 miles away); September 11th California Memorial (approx. 7.2 miles away); Millerton (approx. 8.4 miles away); Forestiere Underground Gardens (approx. 8.6 miles away); Erected to the Memory of the Pioneers of the Millerton Area Whose Remains Rest Here (approx. 9.5 miles away); Fresno Traction Company (approx. 10.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fresno.
More about this marker. The marker is attached to the one of the white brick columns in front of the Fort Washington Clubhouse
Regarding Fort Washington. This marker is the third of 44 monuments erected by E Clampus Vitus in Fresno County since 1959
Categories. Forts, CastlesWars, US Indian
Fort Washington School image. Click for full size.
Courtesy of the Eastern Fresno County Museum, 1905
3. Fort Washington School
A school was later built on the site of the old fort. This picture is of the school in 1905. The building was razed when this school was absorbed by the Clovis School district. There is another elementery school now known as Fort Wasington, but it is not located on the historical site.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. This page has been viewed 1,498 times since then and 140 times this year. Last updated on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California.   3. submitted on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement