Clovis in Fresno County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The San Joaquin Valley Railroad
The railroad was constructed as far as Hamptonville, now known as Friant, and subsequently was taken over by the Southern Pacific. In securing right-of-way for the railroad Pollasky promised Clovis Cole to build a depot in exchange for right-of-way. Cole also donated land for the townsite. So the San Joaquin Valley Railroad was directly responsible for the founding of the City of Clovis.
Erected 1971 by James Savage Chapter No. 1852, E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 14.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. It was located near 36° 49.8′ N, 119° 42.05′ W. Marker was in Clovis, California, in Fresno County. Marker could be reached from South Clovis Avenue (State Highway 168) near Villa Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Click for map
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Tarpey Depot (approx. 0.3 miles away); Clovis Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); September 11th California Memorial (approx. 3 miles away); Fort Washington (approx. 5 miles away); Frank Chance Field 1935-1941 (approx. 7.2 miles away); Fresno Assembly Center (approx. 7.4 miles away); Fresno Traction Company (approx. 7.4 miles away); George M. Bowman (approx. 7.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Clovis.
More about this marker. The original brass marker erected in 1971 was stolen in early 2009. The replacement marker of black granite was erected 38 years to the day with 2 of the people that originally dedicated the monument in attendence. One of them present for the 1971 dedication was Harry Armstrong who returned 38 years later to attend the dedication as Mayor of Clovis, California.
Regarding The San Joaquin Valley Railroad. The railroad was located close to the end of the flume that brought wood down from the mountains to build the homes of
1. Land not "donated"
Every where it is consistently and erroneously told that Cole donated land for the depot, the town, the right-of-way, etc. He did not. He sold it. SOLD, not given. The original deed is on display at the Clovis Museum. Go see.
— Submitted October 7, 2014, by Rus Stolling of Clovis, California.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. This page has been viewed 1,411 times since then and 110 times this year. Last updated on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. This page was the Marker of the Week Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.