Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Columbia Female Academy
Authorized by legislature 1792, the Columbia Female Academy was located here from about 1820 to 1883, when this property was leased to Columbia Public School Commissioners, two of whom still represent the Academy Board. The remodeled academy became the first Columbia High School, in use until 1915.
Erected 1938 by The Columbia Sesquicentennial Commission of 1936. (Marker Number 40-20.)
Location. 34° 0.297′ N, 81° 1.919′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Washington Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Located between Marion Street and North Sumter Street. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Columbia High School (a few steps from this marker); Washington Street Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Washington Street Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church Confederate Veterans Monument (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cecil Herbert Land D.D. First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Ordinance of Secession (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named First Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); First Baptist Church (about 500 feet away); Site of Gibbes House (about 500 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbia.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 591 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 4. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.