Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Frederick in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Frederick

A Town becomes a City

 
 
Frederick Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 9, 2007
1. Frederick Marker
Inscription. Frederick Town was founded in 1745 when Daniel Dulany the Elder carved out an eastern portion of his 7,000 acre parcel patented as "Tasker's Chance." The town was then laid out in an orderly grid with Patrick Street designated as the east-west thoroughfare and Market Street running north-south. Most agree that the first house in town was built at the northeast corner of Patrick Street and Maxwell Alley by schoolteacher John Thomas Schley in 1746. National Road mile stone 45 now stands in front of the Schley house site.

Frederick Town prospered from the start. It became the seat of government when Frederick County was established in 1748. By 1800 it had 2,600 residents in 450 houses. Soon after, the Baltimore and Frederick-Town Turnpike, the first leg of the new National Road, arrived. During the next few decades, millions of travelers passed through Frederick which, by 1817, dropped the "Town" as it became a more respectable city.
 
Erected by America's ByWays.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the The Historic National Road marker series.
 
Location. 39° 24.843′ N, 77° 24.547′ W. Marker is in Frederick, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is at the intersection of East Patrick
Map Close Up View image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 9, 2007
2. Map Close Up View
Street (State Highway 144) and Maxwell Alley, on the left when traveling east on East Patrick Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Frederick MD 21701, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. One Vast Hospital (a few steps from this marker); 1862 Antietam Campaign (within shouting distance of this marker); Hospitals in Frederick (within shouting distance of this marker); Market & Patrick Streets (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); A Crossroads of American History (about 500 feet away); The National Road (about 500 feet away); Evangelical Lutheran Church (about 500 feet away); Kemp Hall (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Frederick.
 
More about this marker. "The John Thomas Schley House, rendered in an artist's conception, stood here until it was demolished in 1853," is on the lower left of the marker.

"An 1841 map of the 'City of Frederick' distinctly shows the grid of streets that still exists in downtown Frederick. In the town's lower third, the National Road curves into Frederick's east end, straightens out on Patrick Street then again curves southwest as it leaves town headed for the Braddock Heights," is in the lower center.

On the lower right a photograph displays, "This coach is stopped at J. Walter's shop in Frederick c.
Wayside 21's Marker Along Patrick Street - The Old National Road image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 9, 2007
3. Wayside 21's Marker Along Patrick Street - The Old National Road
1880. According to his sign, Mr. Walter was a dealer in wool and sheepskins, as well as a manufacturer of Neat's foot oil."

The marker's background is "National Road at Fairview Inn," the standard for this marker series. This marker is listed as Wayside 21 in the series.
 
Categories. Roads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers
 
Old National Road Milestone image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, September 9, 2007
4. Old National Road Milestone
A few yards away on the opposite side of Patrick Street is one of the Old National Road Milestones.
The John Thomas Schley House image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, July 2, 2016
5. The John Thomas Schley House
The John Thomas Schley House, rendered in an artist's conception, stood here until it was demolished in 1853.
Close-up of image on marker
J. Walter's Shop image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, July 2, 2016
6. J. Walter's Shop
This coach is stopped at J. Walter's shop in Frederick c. 1880. According to his sign, Mr. Walter was a dealer in wool and sheepskins, as well as a manufacturing of Neat's foot oil.
Close-up of image on marker
The Northeast Corner of Patrick Street and Maxwell Alley image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, July 2, 2016
7. The Northeast Corner of Patrick Street and Maxwell Alley
National Road Mile marker # 45 no longer stands on this corner. It was hit by a car.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,485 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   5, 6, 7. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page was last revised on September 20, 2016.
Paid Advertisement