Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Gregorio in San Mateo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

San Gregorio House

 
 
San Gregorio House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Wm K. Raven Howland
1. San Gregorio House Marker
Inscription. The San Gregorio House was built in 1865 by C.W.T. Carter, and opened in 1866. It is located ten miles south of Half Moon Bay, situated in one of the most beautiful of the coast valleys, being very near the ocean, with a salubrious climate and no summer winds. Travelers from San Francisco came to the San Gregorio House by stage coach. They enjoyed recreational activities such as fishing, hunting, sea bathing, and boat racing. In 1902 it was rebuilt by John R. Evans. It remained a busy hotel well into the twentieth century and is currently a private dwelling.

Plaque dedicated this Saturday the 27th Day of September 2008 (Clamp Year 6013) by the Ancient & Honorable Order of E Clampsus Vitus, Capitulus Redivivus, Yerba Buena Number One.
 
Erected 2008 by E Clampsus Vitus, Capitulus Redivivus, Yerba Buena Number One.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 37° 19.6′ N, 122° 23.183′ W. Marker is in San Gregorio, California, in San Mateo County. Marker is at the intersection of San Gregoria Road (California Route 84 at milepost 2), and Stage Road, on the right when traveling east on San Gregoria Road. Click for map. About one mile south
San Gregorio House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Wm K. Raven Howland, Dec 2009
2. San Gregorio House Marker
of Cabrillo Highway (State Route 1). Marker is in this post office area: San Gregorio CA 94074, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Portola Camp (approx. 0.8 miles away but has been reported missing); First Congregational Church of Pescadero (approx. 5 miles away); Duarte's Tavern (approx. 5.2 miles away); Methodist Episcopal Church of Pescadero (approx. 5.2 miles away); a different marker also named Methodist Episcopal Church of Pescadero (approx. 5.3 miles away); Apple Jack's Inn (approx. 6.2 miles away); In Memoriam The Aircraft "Resolution" (approx. 6.6 miles away); The James Johnston House (approx. 8.8 miles away).
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Wm K. Raven Howland of Belmont, California. This page has been viewed 988 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on , by Wm K. Raven Howland of Belmont, California. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Wm K. Raven Howland of Belmont, California.   2. submitted on , by Wm K. Raven Howland of Belmont, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement