Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Put-in-Bay in Ottawa County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

South Bass Island Light

 
 
South Bass Island Light Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 17, 2003
1. South Bass Island Light Marker
Inscription. Constructed and first lit in 1897, the South Bass Island Light was in continuous operation until 1962 when the U. S. Coast Guard built an automated light tower to replace it. Significant for its contribution to transportation and commerce on Lake Erie, the South Bass Island Light was built to safely guide vessels through the crowded South Passage. Although many light stations were constructed with a dwelling as a separate structure, the keeper's dwelling of the South Bass Light was attached to the 60-foot tower. The dwelling was designed in the Queen Anne style with red brick laid in Flemish bond. Outbuildings, a barn and oil house, were built in 1899. In 1967, The Ohio State University acquired the property for support of the F. T. Stone Laboratory programs for research, education, and outreach. South Bass Island Light was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990.
 
Erected 2002 by The Ohio State University and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 9-62.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 41° 37.733′ N, 82° 50.436′ W. Marker is near Put-in-Bay, Ohio, in Ottawa County. Marker
South Bass Island Light image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 17, 2003
2. South Bass Island Light
View of backside of lighthouse looking southward, with a view of Lake Erie, just beyond the lighthouse.
is on Langram Road, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. This historical marker is on the southwestern tip of South Bass Island, just east of the lighthouse. If you take the Miller Ferry boat service from Catawba Island to South Bass Island, once you arrive on the island, immediately proceed to the first street (Langram Road), turn left onto Langram and travel west for about 2 to 3 tenths of a mile and you will arrive at both the lighthouse and the historical marker. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2360 Langram Road, Put in Bay OH 43456, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Oelschlager's Dry Goods Store (approx. 2 miles away); Within This Enclosure (approx. 2 miles away); Joseph De Rivera St. Jurgo, 1813-1889 (approx. 2.1 miles away); Gibraltar Island (approx. 2.1 miles away); Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial (approx. 2.3 miles away); Jay Cooke Mansion (approx. 2.3 miles away); Gibraltar Monument (approx. 2.3 miles away); Boundary Marker (approx. 3.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Put-in-Bay.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceLandmarksWaterways & Vessels
 
South Bass Island Light image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, August 17, 2003
3. South Bass Island Light
View looking northward of the frontside of the lighthouse.
South Bass Island Light image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 5, 2006
4. South Bass Island Light
View of the lighthouse as seen from a boat in the water sitting just offshore from the lighthouse.
South Bass Island Light Marker image. Click for full size.
By Dale K. Benington, July 5, 2006
5. South Bass Island Light Marker
Another view of lighthouse, from the boat sitting in the waters of Lake Erie, just offshore from the lighthouse.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 549 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement