Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Edom in Van Zandt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of C.W. Morris Cotton Gin

 
 
Site of C.W. Morris Cotton Gin Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, February 28, 2010
1. Site of C.W. Morris Cotton Gin Marker
Inscription. As was the case in so many small Texas towns in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the cotton gin in Edom was a major element in the economy. First opened at this site in 1918 by Ro Dike, who moved his ginning operation here from Davidson (3 mi. W), the gin was owned and operated by local merchant C.W. Morris beginning in 1924. For approximately 4 months in late summer and early fall, most activities revolved around ginning. Some 700 to 800 farmers depended on the local cotton gin. In peak season the gin was known to operate 24 hours a day. The original Continental Gin Company machinery burned in 1929 and was replaced with modern diesel-powered equipment manufactured by the Murray Gin Company. During the 1930s the gin processed an average of 3 to 4 bales of cotton per hour. The gin shut down about 1946.
 
Erected 1999. (Marker Number 12261.)
 
Location. 32° 22.358′ N, 95° 36.405′ W. Marker is in Edom, Texas, in Van Zandt County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 279, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. About 200 yards East of FM 314. Marker is in this post office area: Ben Wheeler TX 75754, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brownsboro Norwegian Lutheran Cemetery
Site of C.W. Morris Cotton Gin image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, February 28, 2010
2. Site of C.W. Morris Cotton Gin
It appears the gin is in ruins.
(approx. 4.9 miles away); Site Of Old Normandy (approx. 4.9 miles away); Cherokee Chief Bowles (approx. 6.2 miles away); County Line Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 6.6 miles away); Rock Hill Cemetery (approx. 6.8 miles away); Alamo Institute (approx. 7.6 miles away); Morgan G. Sanders (approx. 7.6 miles away); Ben Wheeler Community (approx. 7.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Edom.
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 894 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 20, 2016.
Paid Advertisement