Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Andrews in Williamsburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Early Settlers / Potatoe Ferry

 
 
Early Settlers / Potatoe Ferry Marker (front) image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, February 18, 2010
1. Early Settlers / Potatoe Ferry Marker (front)
Inscription.
Early Settlers
Among the first settlers of Williamsburg County, members of the Witherspoon family sailed from Belfast to Charleston in 1734, arriving about December 1. With a year's provisions, they embarked on an open-boat voyage. Traveling up the Black River, the settlers came ashore near here and lived in Samuel Commander's barn while constructing their "dirt houses."

Potatoe Ferry
By 1775, Potatoe Ferry was operating on the Black River about ¼ mile downstream from here. During the Revolution, Brigadier General Francis Marion employed the ferry to transport troops on a planned expedition against British forces in Georgetown. In 1810, Bishop Francis Asbury, pioneer of American Methodism, crossed the river here during his travels.
 
Erected 1989 by Three Rivers Historical Society. (Marker Number 45-9.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher, and the South Carolina, Williamsburg County, Three Rivers Historical Society marker series.
 
Location. 33° 29.685′ N, 79° 32.447′ W. Marker is near Andrews, South Carolina, in Williamsburg County. Marker is at the intersection of Thurgood Marshall Highway (State
Early Settlers / Potatoe Ferry Marker (reverse) image. Click for full size.
By Cindy Bullard, February 18, 2010
2. Early Settlers / Potatoe Ferry Marker (reverse)
Highway 527) and County Line Road (State Highway 41) on Thurgood Marshall Highway. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Andrews SC 29510, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Georgetown County National Guard Memorial (approx. 3.3 miles away); Mt. Zion A.M.E. Church (approx. 4.5 miles away); Dissenter Meeting House and Cemetery (approx. 5.4 miles away); Prince George Winyah Parish / Prince Frederick’s Parish (approx. 9.1 miles away); Black Mingo Presbyterian Meeting House (approx. 9.4 miles away); Skirmish at Sampit Bridge (approx. 10.2 miles away); Sampit Methodist Church (approx. 10.2 miles away); Black Mingo – Willtown / Black Mingo Baptist Church (approx. 10.4 miles away); Black Mingo Creek: (approx. 10.8 miles away); Skirmish At Black Mingo Creek (approx. 10.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Andrews.
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,177 times since then and 61 times this year. Last updated on , by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement