Ashville in Saint Clair County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
A County Older Than The State, St. Clair County
Created in 1818 in ﬁrst session of Alabama Territorial Legislature
Named for Gen. Arthur St. Clair, hero of Revolution, governor of Northwest Territory.
First settlers from Tennessee, Georgia - veterans of Creek Indian War, 1813-14.
County seat since 1822 here at Ashville, named for John Ash, prominent settler.
Growing population south of Backbone Mt. led to Pell City branch county seat, 1902.
Erected 1957 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 33° 50.197′ N, 86° 15.315′ W. Marker is in Ashville, Alabama, in Saint Clair County. Marker is at the intersection of 6th Avenue and Court Street West, on the left when traveling east on 6th Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ashville AL 35953, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Dean / Inzer House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Assassination Site of Sgt. E. Frank Harrison (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Looney House (approx. 3.8 miles away); Original Site of Pleasant Hill Methodist Church (approx. 7.3 miles away); Battle of “Ten Islands” Fort Strother (approx. 11.7 miles away); Harkey’s Chapel United Methodist Church Founded Circa 1829-1830 (approx. 11.9 miles away); Champion Mines (approx. 13.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ashville.
Categories. • Government • Native Americans • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,427 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.