Frederick in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Congregation in Frederick
1934 - Became part of the The Evangelical and Reformed Church a Merger of the Evangelical Synod and German Reformed Church
1957 - Affiliated with The United Church of Christ At the Union of the E&R Church and the Congregational Churches.
Houses of Worship
1743 - Log Church south of Thurmont in the Monocacy settlement shared with the German Lutehrans and the Moravians
Schley's Schoolhouse used as our first Frederick location
1748 - Wooden Church built on West Patrick Street lot
1763 - Stone Church built - Rebuilt in 1881 as "Trinity Chapel" retaining the original 1763 Tower and the 1807 Steeple.
1848 - Present Greek Revival Church Building erected interior remodeled 1891-1912 to enable "High Church" worship.
Placed by the Congregation in Thanksgiving to God in our 250th Anniversary Year - 1995
Location. 39° 24.929′ N, 77° 24.693′ W. Marker is in Frederick, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is on West Church Street, on the left when traveling east. Click for map. Located on the entrance steps to the Evangelical
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John Thomas Schley (within shouting distance of this marker); “South Magnetic” (within shouting distance of this marker); Frederick’s Poet Lawyer (within shouting distance of this marker); Capital For A Summer (within shouting distance of this marker); In April 1861 (within shouting distance of this marker); Kemp Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Johnson (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Dred Scott Decision (about 300 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Frederick.
Also see . . . Present Day Evangelical Reformed United Church of Christ. (Submitted on October 7, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
1. Jackson's visit
On September 7, 1862, Confederate General "Stonewall" Jackson rode in from his camp near the Monocacy River to attend Sunday services. At first he sought out the Presbyterian church nearby, but found the services there completed. Instead he attended the
— Submitted October 7, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,311 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.