“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cuney in Cherokee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)


Cuney Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, February 27, 2010
1. Cuney Marker
Inscription. The earliest area settlers were Andrew "Andy" Bragg and Nelson Sneed, black farmers who moved here in 1870. Former slaves, they were later joined by other freedman farmers, landowners and tradesmen. The settlement that resulted was known as Andy.

In 1916 former Palestine banker H.L. Price moved to the community. Encouraged by the area's potential as a commercial and agricultural center for blacks, he directed formation of the Andy Real Estate Company. He was joined in the operation by his son Cuney Price, W.D. Thomas, J.Z. Thomas, W.A. Hall, and John Bragg. The firm renamed the town Cuney for Price's son, who was named for the prominent black business and state political leader Norris Wright Cuney.

Statewide promotion of the town resulted in rapid growth for Cuney, which soon included churches, stores, gins, sawmills, a railroad station, a hotel and a baseball team. Nelson Sneed donated land for the establishment of community schools.

Cuney declined after World War I as agricultural prices decreased and area residents moved to other towns for work. Today it serves as a reminder of the area's pioneers and the significant contribution they made to the heritage of Texas' black community.
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 6636.)
Cuney Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, February 27, 2010
2. Cuney Marker
32° 1.866′ N, 95° 24.993′ W. Marker is in Cuney, Texas, in Cherokee County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 175 and Farm to Market Road 3327, on the left when traveling west on U.S. 175. Click for map. Located near Post Office. Marker is in this post office area: Cuney TX 75759, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 18 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Neches Saline Road (approx. 6.6 miles away); Love's Lookout (approx. 8.1 miles away); Dewberry Plantation House (approx. 8.9 miles away); Camp of the Army of the Republic of Texas (approx. 8.9 miles away); Craft Baptist Church (approx. 13 miles away); First Baptist Church of Whitehouse (approx. 18 miles away).
Also see . . .  Cuney - The Handbook of Texas Online. (Submitted on March 10, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Categories. African AmericansSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 841 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement