Talladega in Talladega County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Auburn University And Birmingham-Southern College Began In Talladega, 1854
The College at Auburn was transferred from the Church to the state in 1872, and it became the land-grant Agricultural & Mechanical College of Alabama. In 1899, its name was changed to the Alabama Polytechnic Institute and, in 1960, to Auburn University.
Southern University at Greensboro merged with Birmingham College in 1918 to form Birmingham - Southern College, maintaining a church - related status from its beginning to the present.
Erected 2006 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 33° 25.962′ N, 86° 6.073′ Click for map. Marker located on the grounds of the Talladega First United Methodist Church. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 East Street South, Talladega AL 35160, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle Of Talladega (approx. 0.2 miles away); USS Talladega (APA-208) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Talladega Courthouse Square Historic District (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Joiner Family (approx. 0.7 miles away); Presbyterian Home For Children (approx. 0.8 miles away); Lincoln, Alabama (approx. 12.6 miles away); DeSoto Caverns (approx. 13.5 miles away); Historic Downtown Pell City (approx. 15.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Talladega.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Education • Government •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 2,009 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.