Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Barnesville in Lamar County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Lamar Electric Membership Corporation

 
 
Lamar Electric Membership Corporation Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, 1991
1. Lamar Electric Membership Corporation Marker
Inscription. Dedicated August 11, 1938 by President Franklin D. Roosevelt

Rededicated to service 1988

E.J. Martin, Jr., President
W.H. Averett, Jr., V. President
J.H. Gunnels, Secretary
H.B. Cromer, Treasurer
J.H. Barnes, Jr. J.C. Caldwell
F.C. Chapman W.C. Elliott
B.A. Garner, Jr. S.R. Pippin
Harvey J. Kennedy, Jr., Attorney
Thomas M. Weldon, Manager
 
Location. 33° 0.837′ N, 84° 7.76′ W. Marker is near Barnesville, Georgia, in Lamar County. Marker is on U.S. 341 0 miles south of Abbott Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1367 US 341, Barnesville GA 30204, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lamar Electric Membership Corporation Incorporating Board of Directors (within shouting distance of this marker); A&M - G.I.C. (approx. 2.6 miles away); Gordon Military College (approx. 2.6 miles away); Roosevelt’s Barnesville Speech (approx. 2.8 miles away); Lamar County (approx. 3.1 miles away); Barnesville Blues (approx. 3.1 miles away); Confederate Hospitals (approx. 3.2 miles away); Confederate Hospital (approx. 3.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Barnesville.
 
Related markers.
Lamar Electric Membership Corporation Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
2. Lamar Electric Membership Corporation Marker
Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Also see . . .  The Rural Electrification Administration (REA). One of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's "alphabet soup" organizations formed during the great depression. The REA's mission was to reduce installation costs for electrical service to rural areas. The Administration worked closely with others such as the Tennessee Valley Authority to link supply with demand. The Lamar Electric Membership Corporation was one of those representing the "demand." (Submitted on December 26, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. 20th CenturyIndustry & Commerce
 
Lamar Electric Membership Corporation Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, November 8, 2009
3. Lamar Electric Membership Corporation Marker
Looking north on US 341
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 734 times since then and 15 times this year. Last updated on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2, 3. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement