Frederick in Frederick County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Lower Depot Neighborhood / The Frederick Brick Works
The railroad transformed 19th century America, facilitating long-distance travel and the efficient transfer of raw materials to factories and agricultural and manufactured goods to markets. For Frederick this transformation began in 1831 when the nation's first railroad, the Baltimore & Ohio, opened a branch line to the city. The first B&O depot stood east of South Carroll Street.
(Upper Right Sidebar): In 1872, the Frederick & Pennsylvania Line Railroad was laid down the center of East Street, joining with the B&O tracks east of Water Street. Improved rail connections spurred industrial development in the area. By the close of the 19th century, the local industrial district included two tanners, a flour mill, a coal yard, a step-ladder factory, a canning company, a spoke factory, a bridge works, a brush factory, knitting mills, two ice factories, and a brickworks
(Lower Right Sidebar): The area continued as the industrial heart of the city well into the 20th century. Many neighborhood residents worked in nearby factories and coal yards. The 1910 federal census indicated that 236 inhabitants lived in the area. Of these, thirteen were employed by the railroad, seven by the Frederick Brick Works, and ten by the Union Manufacturing Company, a hosiery
Plaque prepared for the Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) as part of the MARC Frederick Service Project
Passenger train service resumed December 10, 2001
(South Facing Side): The Frederick Brick Works
The Frederick Brick Works was established in 1891 on a 63-acre farm tract south of town. The property was rich in clay deposits and located in close proximity to the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. These factors contributed to the company's success as manufacturer of a once-prominent brand of bricks, Frederick Reds. Frederick Reds were used in the construction of numerous buildings throughout the region. The largest project, requiring five million bricks, was the Government Printing Office (1900) in Washington, D.C. Locally, Frederick Reds were used in construction of the first Frederick High School, various buildings at Hood College, and many pre-World War II houses.
(Center Sidebar): Frederick Reds were manufactured using the soft-mud process. Clay was stored in the sheds (A) at the south end of the property. When needed, raw clay was moved to the tempering pit (B) where it was combined with water and other
Following molding, the bricks were moved to the dryers (E). One dryer used hot air, while a second used steam. Both contained tunnel dryers, one heated by waste heat, the other by steam conducted in pipes along the bottom and sides of the dryer. After being thoroughly dried, the bricks were fired. Firing took place in twelve, downdraft kilns (F). The kilns were shaped like beehives, thus allowing for an even distribution of heat. They required constant supervision to maintain the consistent temperatures needed to produce the best quality brick. Following firing, the bricks were stored in sheds (G) where they awaited shipment to construction sites via truck or rail.
(Lower Right Sidebar): The fortunes of the Frederick Brick Works fluctuated in response to economic conditions. Brick production was temporarily suspended at the height of the depression in 1934, fully restored by the early 1940s, and suspended again during World War II. In 1946 brick production was discontinued permanently due to a combination of maintenance, labor, and marketing difficulties following
Plaque prepared for the State Highway Administration (SHA) as part of the East Street Extended Project.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad (B&O) marker series.
Location. 39° 24.699′ N, 77° 24.315′ W. Marker is in Frederick, Maryland, in Frederick County. Marker is at the intersection of B & O Avenue and South East Street, on the right when traveling west on B & O Avenue. Click for map. Located at the passenger platform for the Frederick Terminal of the MARC. Marker is in this post office area: Frederick MD 21701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gen. Bradley T. Johnson (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The National Road (approx. 0.2 miles away); Frederick (approx. ¼ mile away); One Vast Hospital (approx. ¼ mile away); 1862 Antietam Campaign (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hospitals in Frederick (approx. 0.3 miles away); “The Great Baby Waker” (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hessian Barracks - Witness to History (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Frederick.
More about this marker.
The South Side displays a diagram of "Frederick Brick Works, 1904" from a Sanborn Insurance Map. Photographs include "Frederick Brick Works, c. 1897," "Government Printing Office, c. 1936," "Loading and Firing the Kilns, c 1932," and "Trucks Stand Ready for Local Deliveries, c. 1940."
Also see . . .
1. Short History of the Frederick Branch of the B&O Railroad. (Submitted on October 7, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
2. The Frederick Brick Works (Submitted on October 7, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
3. Frederick Carroll Creek Development. Several of the sites mentioned on the marker are the subject of revitalization and reuse programs. (Submitted on October 7, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,021 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 7. submitted on . This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.