Near Bethune in Kershaw County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Pleasant Hill Baptist Church
The first Baptist Church in this area of Kershaw County was founded in a wooded area on Mecklenburg Road, two miles south of Lynchwood, now the town of Bethune. The church was founded in 1852 by Ellie Copeland and established on land owned by the Copeland family, who deeded most of the 1.68 acre lot in 1895.
Five buildings have been used for worship services: a log and plank church about 1852-1897; a one room white frame building 1897-1951, sold at auction in 1951; a 1 ½ story brick sanctuary, burned in 1953; the John M. Catoe store building; and this sanctuary, educational building and pastorium dedicated on January 30, 1955.
Erected 1973 by Lynches River Historical Society. (Marker Number 28-7.)
Location. 34° 23.892′ N, 80° 19.71′ W. Marker is near Bethune, South Carolina, in Kershaw County. Marker is at the intersection of McKinnon Road and Pleasant Hill Road, on the right when traveling north on McKinnon Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bethune SC 29009, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tiller's Ferry (approx. 2.7 miles away); Seaboard Air Line Railway Depot Lower Fork Of Lynches Creek Baptist Church / Gum Branch Church (approx. 8.2 miles away); West's Crossroads / Donald H. Holland House (approx. 8.4 miles away); Hall's Mill (approx. 8.7 miles away); Midway High School (approx. 10.1 miles away); Jacob Kelley House (approx. 11.2 miles away); Captain Peter DuBose (approx. 12.1 miles away).
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 640 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.