“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Central in Angelina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Gann Memorial Cemetery

Gann Memorial Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, March 6, 2010
1. Gann Memorial Cemetery Marker
Inscription. This burial ground, which contains over 3,000 graves, has served area residents since the mid-1800s. In 1860, Nathan W. Gann, who came to Texas with his family in 1836, donated this property and a church building he constructed to Williams Chapel Methodist Church. The first known burial on this land was of Jacob J. Gann in 1861. In 1893, the church disbanded and this property reverted to Nathan Gann, who then deeded it to the Missionary Baptist Church, which is now known as O'Quinn Baptist Church.

Many early Angelina County pioneers used this property as a burial ground. As the area's lumber and agricultural industries developed, a number of rural communities organized. The former Lufkin U.S. Air Force Radar Base (later the site of Lufkin State School) was also located nearby. Gann Memorial Cemetery became the primary burial ground for residents of the area, which became known as the Central-Pollok community. Among those interred here are at least five county officials, over 200 veterans of conflicts dating to the Civil War and numerous members of various fraternal organizations.

Over the years, family members of the interred cared for the cemetery, which grew due to the generosity of local landowners. In 1978, the Gann Memorial Cemetery Association began to maintain it. The cemetery features curbing, false crypts, vertical
Gann Memorial Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, March 6, 2010
2. Gann Memorial Cemetery
stones and obelisks. Today, Gann Memorial Cemetery continues to serve local families and provides a reminder of the early pioneers of the Central and Pollok communities.

Historic Texas Cemetery - 2007 Marker is Property of the State of Texas.
Erected 2007. (Marker Number 14796.)
Location. 31° 25.571′ N, 94° 48.536′ W. Marker is in Central, Texas, in Angelina County. Marker is on County Road 843 south of U.S. 69, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located 100 feet South of Hwy 69, in the rear of O'Quinn Baptist Church. Marker is in this post office area: Lufkin TX 75901, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Central Consolidated School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pollok Cemetery (approx. 3.9 miles away); Pollok Baptist Church (approx. 3.9 miles away); Redland Baptist Church (approx. 5.3 miles away); Charles "Charlie" Wilson (approx. 5.5 miles away); Walker Cemetery (approx. 5.8 miles away); The Civilian Conservation Corps and Forestry in Texas (approx. 5.9 miles away); German POWs in the East Texas Timber Industry (approx. 5.9 miles away).
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial Sites
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,939 times since then and 101 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement