Bradford in Miami County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Bradford Fire of 1920
On the evening of August 3, 1920, at 10:30, two men hurrying home after working at the local Railway Y.M.C.A. discovered smoke and flames at the D. Arnold & Sons Lumber Company. Bradford firemen, with the help of area firefighters, could not contain the raging fire because of the intense heat and lack of available water. By the early morning light, townspeople saw that their town had been almost totally destroyed. Thirty-four businesses and twelve homes were burned to the ground with losses totaling over one million dollars. Many businesses never rebuilt and claimed huge losses due to the lack of insurance coverage. The Ohio State Fire Marshal investigated the fire and ruled arson as the origin. Authorities never apprehended or charged any suspects.
Erected 2003 by Bradford Public Library, The Community Festival Association, Bradford Community Club, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 8-55.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 40° 7.915′ N, 84° 25.816′ W. Marker is in Bradford, Ohio, in Miami County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bradford (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pennsylvania Railroad "BF" Tower (approx. 0.4 miles away); Michael Ingle (approx. 4 miles away); Covington Civil War Monument (approx. 4 miles away); Covington American Legion Monument (approx. 4 miles away); Covington Veterans Memorial (approx. 4 miles away); Covington WWI Memorial (approx. 4.1 miles away); USAF Pararescue Memorial Parkway (approx. 4.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bradford.
Also see . . . History of Bradford. (Submitted on March 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • 20th Century • Industry & Commerce • Notable Events •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 697 times since then and 59 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.