Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bradford in Miami County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Pennsylvania Railroad “BF” Tower

 
 
Pennsylvania Railroad "BF" Tower Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 6, 2010
1. Pennsylvania Railroad "BF" Tower Marker
Inscription.
The Bradford or "BF" Tower was built by the Pennsylvania Railroad circa 1929, at the important site of Bradford Junction. It replaced an earlier wooden tower that stood to its west. From this building, operators controlled the movement of every train, aligned track switches, set the track side signals, and relayed messages to the crews in the locomotive and caboose of passing trains. The tower originally housed a desk, telegraph equipment, and the all-important railroad clock. Its core housed many steel throw-arms, known as Armstrong levers. These were hand thrown, connecting track switches and signals via pipes throughout the junction area. The operator telegraphed other outlying towers and dispatching centers in Columbus, Ohio and Indianapolis and Logansport, Indiana. Railroad telephones appeared during the late 1920s and radios just after World War II. The tower was closed January 3, 1984. This is an example of the once common railroad interlocking tower that dotted railroads throughout Ohio and the United States.
 
Erected 2007 by Bradford Ohio Railroad Museum and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 21-55.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location.
PRR "BF" Tower and Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 6, 2010
2. PRR "BF" Tower and Marker
Looking north.
40° 7.829′ N, 84° 25.386′ W. Marker is in Bradford, Ohio, in Miami County. Marker is on Main Street half a mile east of Miami Avenue (Ohio Route 721), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker and tower are about 150 feet south of Main Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 501 E. Main Street, Bradford OH 45308, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bradford Fire of 1920 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Bradford (approx. 0.4 miles away); Michael Ingle (approx. 3.6 miles away); Covington Civil War Monument (approx. 3.6 miles away); Covington American Legion Monument (approx. 3.6 miles away); Covington Veterans Memorial (approx. 3.6 miles away); Covington WWI Memorial (approx. 3.7 miles away); USAF Pararescue Memorial Parkway (approx. 3.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bradford.
 
Also see . . .
1. Bradford Railroad Museum. (Submitted on March 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of Bradford. (Submitted on March 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. PRR Pan Handle Route. (Submitted on March 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceMan-Made FeaturesNotable BuildingsRailroads & Streetcars
 
PRR "BF" Tower image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 6, 2010
3. PRR "BF" Tower
Remains of Armstrong lever apparatus at base of tower.
PRR "BF" Tower image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., March 6, 2010
4. PRR "BF" Tower
Remains of Armstrong lever apparatus at base of tower.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,171 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement