By William Fischer, Jr., March 6, 2010
|1. Randolph Settlement Marker (Side A)|
Side A: Randolph Settlement
In 1833, John Randolph from Roanoke, Virginia, died leaving three wills that requested that all of his slaves be set free and that land be purchased for them. Although contested for thirteen years by his family, the slaves were freed and the executor of the wills, Randolph's cousin Judge William Leigh purchased about 2,000 acres of farm land in Mercer County, Ohio. Traveling by wagon train, the freed slaves, 383 in all, reached their destination in 1846, but were forced to turn back by earlier established white settlers. They turned around and ended up north of Piqua where they purchased land and developed the Village of Rossville. Later some moved on to other places in Miami County and well as Shelby County. In Rossville, they established an African Baptist Church in 1869, cemetery in 1866, and public black school in 1872.
Side B: Jackson Cemetery (African)
Members from the following families are buried in Jackson Cemetery: Anderson, Armstrong, Bally, Basil, Blackburn, Bray, Brown, Butler, Cain, Clark, Clay, Coles, Crowder, Dalany, Fowlis, Giles, Gillard, Gillem, Governor, Hill, Huggard, Hughs, Hunt, Johnson, Jones, Kendall, Langdon, Lee, Mitchell, Musco, Nickens, Parsley, Parson, Randolph, Reese, Rial, Roberts, Rocco, Shipp, Smith, Taylor, Tibbs, Truss, Vicks, White, Williams,
and Wilson. The following Civil War veterans are interred here: Peer M. Bray, John Cain, Henry Clay, Johnson Crowder, William Kendall, H. Parsley, John Taylor, Sidney Vicks, and Phillip White.
By Tammy Cornett, April 30, 2011
|2. Randolph Settlement Marker|
|Side B of Randolph Settlement Marker, showing names of families buried at the cemetery, including the Civil War veterans from Rossville.|
Erected 2008 by Paul G. Duke Foundation and Jackson Tube Company, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 28-55.)
Location. 40° 9.434′ N, 84° 14.172′ W. Marker is in Rossville, Ohio, in Miami County. Marker is at the intersection of Zimmerlin Road and McFarland Road, on the right when traveling east on Zimmerlin Road. Click for map. Westbound Zimmerlin Road "tees" into Dixie Drive, which then intersects County Road 25A about 0.25 miles west of the marker. Marker is in this post office area: Piqua OH 45356, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Capt. Don Gentile (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Mills Brothers (approx. 0.6 miles away); Piqua Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); William Moore McCullough / Civil Rights Movement in Piqua (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lock Nine Riverfront Park (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lock Nine (approx. 0.7 miles away); The 1913 Flood (approx. 0.7 miles away); Main Street (approx. ¾ mile away).
Also see . . . Carthegena, Ohio. (Submitted on March 8, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)