Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pomeroy in Meigs County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Morgan's Raid Route / Meigs County Courthouse

Pursuers converge at Pomeroy

 
 
Morgan's Raid Route Marker (Side A) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 6, 2009
1. Morgan's Raid Route Marker (Side A)
Inscription.
Side A: Morgan's Raid Route
Pursuers converge at Pomeroy

As Morgan's Raiders rode eastward across southern Ohio during the third week of July 1863, the scattered defensive forces pursuing him consolidated and drew closer. Four regiments under Brigadier General Eliakim P. Scammon (including the 23rd Ohio, containing future U.S. Presidents Rutherford B. Hayes and William McKinley Jr.) arrived here by steamboat on July 18, preventing Morgan from entering Pomeroy. Brigadier General Henry Moses Judah's division also arrived in Pomeroy on July 18, immediately marching east following Morgan. Following Morgan's defeat at Buffington Island on July 19, both Judah and Brigadier General Edward H. Hobson returned to Pomeroy and headquartered at the Grand Dilcher Hotel. Of the approximately 900 Confederate prisoners captured in Meigs County, 227 were held here at the courthouse before being sent downriver to Cincinnati.

Side B: Meigs County Courthouse
Meigs County was formed in 1819 from parts of Washington, Athens, and Gallia counties, with its first county seat at Middleport. The county seat moved to Chester in 1823 and to Pomeroy in 1841. Obtaining the Scioto County Courthouse plans for $15, the commissioners built the new courthouse as a twin to the Portsmouth structure at a cost of $5,200. Now surrounded
Meigs County Courthouse Marker (Side B) image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 6, 2009
2. Meigs County Courthouse Marker (Side B)
by later additions, it was completed in 1848. The Greek Revival courthouse was extensively remodeled in 1877 by adding the flanking wings, spiral stairways, columns, and a two-story portico capped with a bracketed cornice in the Italianate style. The street level was lowered and the basement level excavated to provide three full stories. Each floor is accessible by a ground level entrance.
 
Erected 2001 by The Meigs County Historical Society, Meigs County Commissioners, Ohio Travel and Tourism, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 12-53.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
 
Location. 39° 1.654′ N, 82° 2.037′ W. Marker is in Pomeroy, Ohio, in Meigs County. Marker is at the intersection of 2nd Street and Mulberry Avenue, on the left when traveling east on 2nd Street. Click for map. Marker is on the county courthouse grounds. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 W. 2nd Street, Pomeroy OH 45769, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Spanish Cannon (here, next to this marker); Meigs County Civil War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Village of Pomeroy
Morgan's Raid Route / Meigs County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 6, 2009
3. Morgan's Raid Route / Meigs County Courthouse Marker
Courthouse to right, just outside of view.
(about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Sumner Huntington (approx. 0.3 miles away); Valentine Baxter Horton (approx. 0.4 miles away); James Edwin Campbell (approx. 1.7 miles away); Rear Admiral William W. Outerbridge (approx. 1.8 miles away); Major John B. Downing (approx. 1.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pomeroy.
 
Also see . . .
1. Meigs County Courthouse. (Submitted on March 10, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Morgan's Raid. (Submitted on March 10, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Categories. GovernmentHeroesMilitaryNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsPatriots & PatriotismPolitical SubdivisionsWar, US Civil
 
Meigs County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By William Fischer, Jr., September 6, 2009
4. Meigs County Courthouse
Looking NNW along Court Street.
<i>County Court House, Pomeroy, O.</i> image. Click for full size.
Postcard by the Rotograph Co., circa 1908
5. County Court House, Pomeroy, O.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,874 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   5. submitted on . This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement