Near Rock Springs in Meigs County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Meigs County Fairgrounds
Situated in an agriculturally rich area, county fairs have long been a significant tradition and event in Meigs County. The Meigs County Agricultural Society held its first fair on October 22, 1851, in Middleport and its second at the Rock-Spring Hotel on October 31, 1852. Subsequent fairs occurred around the county until March 14, 1868, when the first section of a permanent location was purchased from Leonard and Jane Carleton near Rock Springs and became known as the Meigs County Fairgrounds. A popular place, the nearby natural springs, exemplified by the historic stone-carved springhouse, once supplied water to the grounds and community. Improvements to the fairgrounds included expanding the one-third mile racetrack to a half-mile in 1889, constructing the unique curved grandstand in 1890, and reconstructing the 1829 Foster-Jenkinson log cabin on the grounds in 1987. A single barrack from the Civilian Conservation Corps camp of the 1930s remains in use.
Erected 2005 by The Meigs County Historical Society, Ohio Hill Country Heritage Area, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 53-18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. Click for map. Marker is on the county fairgrounds, about 100 feet east of the Meigs County Dog Shelter. Marker is at or near this postal address: 41790 Fair Grounds Lane, Pomeroy OH 45769, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Valentine Baxter Horton (approx. 2.2 miles away); James Edwin Campbell (approx. 2.3 miles away); George Sumner Huntington (approx. 2.3 miles away); Village of Pomeroy (approx. 2.5 miles away); Meigs County Civil War Memorial (approx. 2.5 miles away); Spanish Cannon (approx. 2.5 miles away); Morgan's Raid Route / Meigs County Courthouse (approx. 2.5 miles away); Rear Admiral William W. Outerbridge (approx. 4.3 miles away).
Also see . . . Meigs County Fair. (Submitted on March 10, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Education • Entertainment • Notable Buildings • Notable Events • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 675 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the springhouse, curved grandstand, and the CCC barracks. • Can you help?