Alexander City in Tallapoosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
In 1877, on the south side of the square, the members of the First Baptist Church erected their first house of worship.
In 1889, during the term of Mayor Buford L. Dean, a courthouse-city hall was erected on the site. The original building was destroyed in the 1902 fire. A second building was erected in 1903 and a third in 1939.
Erected 1999 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 56.618′ N, 85° 57.223′ W. Marker is in Alexander City, Alabama, in Tallapoosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street and Main Street, on the right when traveling west on Church Street. Click for map. Marker is located in front of City Hall. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4 Court Square, Alexander City AL 35010, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 Alexander City: A Textile Community (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Baptist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Savannah And Memphis Railroad 1874 (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Youngsville (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church 1872 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Needmore 1873 (approx. 0.7 miles away); Menawa, War Chief (approx. 6 miles away but has been reported missing). Click for a list of all markers in Alexander City.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 848 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.