Hamilton in Butler County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Butler County Courthouse
Butler County was created on March 24, 1803, about three weeks after Ohio became a state. Hamilton won the competition for the county seat, thanks to Israel Ludlow, Hamilton's founder. Ludlow's donation of the public square secured the county seat. The first Butler County trial court met in July 1803 in a tavern before moving to a two-story military building located at what had been Fort Hamilton (1791-1796). The county built the first courthouse on this public square in 1810. The two-story stone building contained a jail on the first floor and a courtroom on the upper level. A new brick two-story courthouse was built on this square in 1817 at a cost of $10,000. A four-sided clock was added to the top of the building in 1837.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
A cupola topped the 1817 courthouse, giving the building a total height of 110 feet. A bell inside the cupola signaled the start of court and public occasions and warned of emergencies. The courthouse was used until 1885 when it was demolished to make way for the present courthouse, the third on this site. Its cornerstone was placed on October 29, 1885. The $305,000 four-story structure, with a similar four-sided clock that had been on the former courthouse, was completed and occupied on February 4,
Erected 2003 by Butler County Commissioners, Courthouse Restoration Committee, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 22-9.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection marker series.
Location. 39° 23.99′ N, 84° 33.775′ W. Marker is in Hamilton, Ohio, in Butler County. Marker is on High Street (Ohio Route 129/177), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 High Street, Hamilton OH 45011, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lentil Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Old Well (about 500 feet away); Heritage Hall (about 500 feet away); Soldiers, Sailors, and Pioneers Monument (about 600 feet away); Old Log Building (about William Dean Howells (about 600 feet away); Grand Army of the Republic Memorial (about 600 feet away); Fort Hamilton (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Hamilton.
Also see . . .
1. Butler County, Ohio. (Submitted on March 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
2. 1882 History of Butler County. (Submitted on March 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
3. Butler County Visitors Bureau. (Submitted on March 12, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Disasters • Government • Notable Buildings • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 1,209 times since then and 79 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.